What is SCiO?
SCiO (Systems and Complexity in Organisation) is a community of systems practitioners who believe that traditional approaches to running organisations are no longer capable of dealing with the complexity and turbulence faced by organisations today and are responsible for many of the problems we see today. We believe that systemic approaches to designing and running organisations offer radically new and better alternatives.
SCiO has three main objectives:
- Developing practice in applying systems ideas to a range of organisational issues
- Disseminating the use of systems approaches in dealing with organisational issues
- Supporting practitioners in their professional practice
Many systems practitioners can feel isolated in their organisations. SCiO provides a way to talk to and get support from a wide range of like minded people and see how they are addressing similar challenges.
SCiO is a charity and social enterprise. It is the professional body for systems professionals and operates internationally.
What does SCiO UK do?
SCiO provides opportunities for practitioners to learn and develop new practice, to build relationships and networks. We run a range of events and forums in the UK. Currently all these meetings are virtual and FREE to attend.
- Open Meetings - an opportunity to hear about skills, tools, practice and experiences: Each provides a set of presentations of general interest to SCiO's members and others. Some of these meetings are also used to discuss specific problems in a workshop situation. Currently these meetings are held every other month and are virtual.
- Development Events - smaller group of SCiO's members gather in order to apply themselves to a series of specific problem brought by the attendees. Special meetings address a study topic (usually from Systems theory). These are open only to members.
- A Master’s level structured Professional Development Programme (PDP) of courses and workshops, to embed principles and practice – for members and non-members
- Common Interest Groups, looking at new practice or developing learning about a particular area of interest, e.g. systems interventions in the public sector, or systemic approaches to enterprise architecture.
When we can meet in person, SCiO UK’s events are held in London and Manchester.
SCiO UK directors
- Chair - Tony Korycki
- Secretary/Treasurer/Membership - Steve Hales
- Open Meetings - Tony Korycki
- Development Days - Lesley Rowan
- CIGs & Outreach/SYSBOK - Tony Korycki
- Non-Executive Directors - Niki Jobson, Benjamin Taylor, Patrick Hoverstadt